Global Surge Clinical Health/Head Nurse Profile
The Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross) is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers operating in 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies.
NorCross has established a Global Surge Team with focus on leadership, management and technical competencies for emergency response in complex environments, targeting Health Emergencies and Health in Emergencies. We are now looking for an experienced Clinical Health profile to join our Global Surge Team.
The Clinical Health profile should be flexible and have the ability and willingness to travel extensively and be deployed to a physical demanding working environment in different contexts and work with various stakeholders. The Global Surge Team profiles must be able to deploy at short notice for periods of up to 3 months and to spend up to 70% of their time overseas.
While not deployed, the Clinical Health profile as part of the Global Surge Team will be home based. Vacation, rest and recovery days and professional development will be accounted for as a part of the remaining period of non-deployment time.
The Clinical Health profile in the Global Surge Team will play an important role and contribute to strengthen the RCRC's emergency response with the aim of enhancing quality of operations, timeliness and accountability in the delivery of effective humanitarian assistance in sudden onset disasters, conflict and protracted crises.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements of EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship will not be considered for this position.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to the assessment, design, implementation and monitoring of operational strategies that include appropriate clinical health interventions based on health needs assessment.
- Lead the setup of the operational health strategy and structure in the affected areas
- Continuously assesses evolving clinical health risks and needs and plans actions accordingly
- Liaise with relevant local governmental authorities and international and non-governmental operating agencies as assigned by the Movement Coordinating Authority
- Represent the emergency response as assigned, including media, back-donors and other organizations as required within his/her area of expertise
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or equivalent (with minimum 3 years' training)
- Registered nurse with a valid license to practice in his/her own country
- Minimum 5 years of nursing experience
- Excellent understanding of humanitarian disaster response systems
- Excellent understanding of the WHO EMT classification and minimum standards
- Previous experience(s) within the Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement.
- Experience from different complex emergencies and contexts
- Proven successful management experience
- Extensive field experience
- Excellent command (written and spoken) of English
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience of capacity building and coaching
- A working knowledge of Norwegian, French, Arabic or Spanish is desirable
- High level of ICT skills
- The Norwegian Red Cross will not sponsor visas. All applicants must have the automatic right to work in Norway. (i.e. a EU/ EEA/Swiss citizenship). We will check for evidence of your right to work at assessment stage.
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must be in good health and will have to pass a medical clearance before signing the employment contract
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required
We seek a person who
- Translates strategic direction into individual and team objectives
- Provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keep them focused on objectives
- Quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- Builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize it to achieve objectives
- Develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development
- Co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- Is committed to RCRC movement principles and values.
We can offer
Global Surge Team Project Coordinator
Position is based in:
Norwegian based or relocation to Norway is preferred. EU/EEA/Swiss citizens are also encouraged to apply
Permanent contract for Norwegian based
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will contribute to improve the health of the most vulnerable people affected by conflict and protracted crisis
- Career: You will have excellent learning and development opportunities
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross strive to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.
Telefon 920 54 718
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.